- Perfect partnership: Award-winning Land Rover Defender to play vital role as a support vehicle at the world’s toughest adventure race – the Red Bull
- Behind the scenes: A fleet of Defender 110 models will transport athletes, medical crew and support staff throughout the challenge, over 1 238 km of alpine terrain
- Rugged accommodation: The 4x4 will be a home-from-home for participants, who will sleep onboard using the bespoke Autohome roof tent* developed for the Defender 110
- Extreme endurance: 12-day competition combines hiking, ultra-running, mountaineering and paragliding across five countries – Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and France
- Adventurous pedigree: Land Rover has more than 73 years of expedition heritage, making it the perfect official vehicle partner for the extreme Red Bull X-Alps
Red Bull X-Alps athletes will negotiate more than 1 200 km of demanding alpine landscape in up to 12 days, from 20 June to 2 July 2021. Each of the 32 competitors will combine hiking, ultra-running, mountaineering and paragliding in a true test of human endurance and stamina. On a typical day, the athletes can expect to hike over 50 km with vertical ascents of up to 5 000 m, burning as many as 6 000 calories.
Land Rover’s most capable and durable 4x4 will provide unstoppable transport and shelter from the ever-changing conditions, while carrying vital supplies and equipment. The rugged 4x4s will come kitted with Autohome Roof Tents to aid athletes and crew members in their much-needed recovery, providing a safe and comfortable place to rest.
Ulrich Grill, Race Organiser, said: “Land Rover is synonymous with endurance adventures and the Defender will play a vital role in the Red Bull X-Alps challenge, supporting the competitors and race organisers as they battle the elements across the 1 238 km course. Its unstoppable capability and practical cabin mean it promises to be one constant throughout the 12-day event that participants will be able to rely on come rain or shine.”
The role of support vehicle will see crew members test the Defender’s expedition credentials to the extreme. With a maximum payload of up to 900 kg, dynamic roof load of 168 kg and static of 300 kg, each vehicle will be loaded with equipment and supplies. Terrain Response 2 technology – including world-first Configurable Terrain Response – will allow the drivers to fine-tune the vehicle to suit their driving preferences and the conditions.
Accessories including Land Rover’s Portable Rinse System, Exterior Side-Mounted Gear Carriers and Integrated Air Compressors will combine with Defender’s integrated 4G Wi-Fi connectivity and the Autohome Roof Tents to give competitors everything they need to rest and recover properly at the end of each day and to complete the epic event.
Following its world premiere at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2019, Defender has won more than 58 international awards, including the 2021 World Car Design of the Year title at the annual World Car Awards.
Watch the race unfold: www.redbullxalps.com/livetracking
*Roof tent requires Expedition Roof Rack to be fitted
Find the details you need below to contact Land Rover whatever your query
DOWNLOAD SPECIFICATION SHEET
Learn more about Land Rover vehicles
BOOK A TEST DRIVE
Arrange a test drive through your nearest retailer
EXPERIENCE LAND ROVER
Know more about our experiences and latest news from Land Rover